Display Case - Main Construction Complete
I managed to squeeze in time to add one or two shelves a week once I figured out a process that worked for me. The image below shows the basic structure complete with some HO locomotives for size comparison.
The next steps will be some sanding, filing, and filling. Then the whole thing will be painted white and mounted on a wall in the man cave. Finally comes track installation and then the model occupancy.
I decided it would be best to then start from the very bottom and work upward with shelf installation. Using the spacers and lots of clamps, each shelf and the main structure were straightened out. Moving in this upward direction sort of mimicked the action of a zipper, straightening and closing the display case as progress was made.
Each shelf was test fit and the outline traced on the back and side pieces. Then each shelf was removed and guide holes for screws were drilled out in outlined area. Finally a thick bead of Tightbond III wood glue was placed within the traced area. Again, using spacers and clamps, each shelf would be reinstalled and screwed into place.
The slideshow below shows the progress of shelf installation from bottom to top.
The images in the slideshow below depict this temporary setup. I have to say I am pretty excited about the way it is turning out!